Monday, August 22, 2011

Good Readers, Good Writers


My response to the questions on Nabokov

What does Nabokov think makes a good reader?

Nabokov thinks that a good reader had a imagination, a dictionary, and some type of artistic sense. He believes that a good reader will re-read the book as to take in more and more of the story every time the book is read, opening more elements to the story. Nabokov thinks that the reader and the authors mind should be in a harmonious balance. He believes that with imagination we must be able to see things and hear things, we must be able to see and hear the detail of the story without an actual picture.

Do you agree?

I would have to say that I agree with his perception of a good reader.

What do you believe are the characteristics of a good reader?

Like I said in the question right before this, I agree with Nabokov. I think that the reader should be able to visualize what is going on in the story. I believe that one should be able to re-read the book and take in more each time the story is read, noticing more and more detail and depth of the story. The reader should be able to make sense of the words and grammar used in the story. Also I believe that the reader should be able to identify context in the story, being able to identify tone, and the voice of the author.

Do you consider yourself a good reader?

I would have to say I think I am a decent reader. I will say that when I re-read a book I can take more from it each time. I am not a big reader though so I have not been able to develop all of the characteristics that Nabokov has listed as what he thinks is a good reader.



http://www.kipbot.com/blog/2010/01/28/kindle-fail-bleak-house/

9 comments:

  1. Hello
    Very good Work, like the way you describe Nabokovs idea, I also agree with his perceptions; very important to re-read, so we can picture the authors idea.
    Thanks for sharing
    rigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lindsey,
    I appreciate your honesty at the end stating that you "not a big reader." In life I find most humans wish to fit in to the topic, your honesty is refreshing. I also agree with Mr. Nabokov. I think re-reading is important when it comes to comprehending the writers imagination. Good work.

    Emiliano Ramos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsey,

    I'm just checking out your commenting feature. Testing 1,2,3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsey,
    I very much agree with you when you say that rereading a story will give the reader depth and a better insight than reading it just once. You say that you are not a big reader but you've made it quite clear that you know the basics to be a good reader. So, to the other knowledge that you haven't learned yet maybe you will in this class or in some other environment. All you can do is keep learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lindsey,

    First, I like your blog set up and your video- your son is very cute!
    I agree with your comments about being in the same frame of mind when reading as well as the writer when writing. I think when I read a book and can place myself in the story it makes it flow better, and it makes more sense as I read it. I have a hard time re-reading a book, but I appreciate your input- maybe I could get more out of it the second time. Your thoughts were great and I look forward to reading more of what you have to share this semester!

    Thanks,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about re-reading a book to understand it better. I'm not the best reader, and I think a main reason is that it reading doesn't hold my attention like watching a movie or playing a sport. I too will be working on using Nabokov's techniques for becoming a better reader. I also wouldn't mind if it made me a better writer as well. Have a good day and good job on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Lindsey,
    Your blog is well set up just you would like to know that. I agree with your observations on the article. One good way to become really familiar is to re-read it,I try to this with everything I read.
    Thanks
    Josh Phares

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lindsey,

    I am in agreement with your comments. I believe that we should be able to take in the information the author is writing and create a mental picture. I believe that it helps to fully create the story. I feel though it is not always necessary to re-read the material. You sometimes become so engrossed in the story that all the details just stand out and you remember them.

    I also agree with your comment about being a decent reader. I find very little time to read so feel I could work on my skills to become a better reader as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the update, very nice site..
    TrumpUSA

    ReplyDelete