Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Summary and Analysis

The difference of Summary and Analysis is quite simple I believe. Being able to

fully grasp this concept when we are asked to complete an assignment is where

people need to distinguish the difference of the two. People, including myself may

still tend to want to summarize when asked to analyze just due to the fact

summarizing is simpler than an analytic exploration.


We all know that a summary basically sums up in text the sequence of events in

virtually anything. Whether that be from a poem, movie, story, or even a sports

event, this is something that is easily accomplished. A summary is an observation

of what has taken place. We can readily accomplish a summary with asking the five

W’s.


An analysis is breaking down the, shall we say a poem since this is what we shall

be analyzing first, to truly get an understanding of it and questioning the depth

of the real meaning. When analyzing something we want to be able to make an

arguable claim. Also this is when the close reading of something comes into play,

and looking deeper into the subject matter. Being able to make an intellectual

argument is something that needs to be preformed, just because you are asked to

make a argument it should engage the want from another party to debate with your

claim. Anyone can choose to argue about anything, doing it with real significance


or importance is where the talent comes in.


http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/summary.html

6 comments:

  1. Hey there Lindsey,
    In your first paragraph you say that you tend to want to summarize even when asked to analyze a paper. I can relate. Summarizing is waaay easier than analyzing details and trying to make sense of them all. I know I'd rather summarize than analyze.
    I'm glad you included such a helpful link also, the tips from the handout were very helpful to me while I was writing our first essay. Especially the topic titled, "How do I write more analytically?" Thanks! -Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey,

    I posted a comment in response to the one you left me. Thanks for that!
    I like how you described that "anyone can choose to argue anything, doing it with real significance and importance is where talent comes in." That's exactly right and I have had to do some public speaking where I really had to argue my point and if I wasn't prepared and didn't know my stuff it wouldn't have gone over well at all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on summary and analysis.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to explain all that. I totally agree with you, summarizing is so much easier than analyzing something. I know I would much rather summarize the poem that we have this week only because it comes easier to me. That link that you included was very helpful! I'll probably be using that more often to help me analyze things. Shannyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsey,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I feel that I can relate to everything that you have said about the difference between summarizing and analyzing. From an early age we are taught to summarize and we continue to do so throughout our education, just as you said it is simply easier. It is not until we learn how to analyze that we really grasp the true meaning behind the subject matter.
    Thanks for the helpful link as well!
    ~Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lindsey,

    I could relate to your comment of preferring to write a summary versus an analysis. I think it's easier to write about what you read rather than talk about what you think. To open up discussion that could lead to someone disagreeing about what you think or say about the topic is sometimes difficult. Although, having that discussion sometime allows for better understanding and standing behind your own interpretation of the subject.

    I like the link that you added as well. It provided some added information on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lindsay,
    For me understanding the difference between summary and analysis was very easy, and I enjoyed doing analyses because I am a naturally thoughtful person. but what was hard for me was writing a summary. However, after reading your blog I think I understand what a summary is more clearly. I also think that if i put into practice what you wrote about using the 5 W's that might help me. Thank you for your thoughts the are very beneficial.

    ReplyDelete