Thursday, September 22, 2011

Frankenstein

"Like one who, on a lonely road, 
Doth walk in fear and dread, 
And having once turn'd round, walks on, 
And turns no more his head;
Because he knows a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread"
(Shelley Pgs. 35-36)

This part of the the story of "Frankenstein" thus far, has the most impact on the story. This has great meaning to it in many senses. It speaks of loneliness of which Robert, Victor, and the Creation all have in common. In fear and in dread, reflects on Victor once he has completed his creation and given it life. He fears what he has made and has remorse in the accomplishment of his experiment. Furthermore, going on to not turning to look any more because of knowing what is treading behind, holds in the back of Victor's mind the guilt that he has in the death of his brother and Justine. He is the one who made the horrible being and he has continued to keep the secret of his creation.  In the very beginning of the story when to men pull the strange man aboard their vessel, the man in in search of a strange man that had been on the ice. He had been in search a a large figured man with an eerie stature that had the curiosity of the men aboard.  Also when Victor creates his monster in his apartment he flees from him in fright, dreading that he will run into him on the streets or back at his apartment when he finally decides to return. Victor sees his creation on several occasions both on his journey back to Geneva and when he, and what is left of his family have gone to the valley of Chamounix. The death of his brother William and the execution of Justine continues to remind him of the creation he has made and further more blames it for the deaths. Nevertheless, on the flip side the "Demon", also feels as though he is trapped having to hide from mankind and their discriminating way against the creation, not knowing the true intentions of the being. After being treated so cruelly from the humans the creature has no choice but to seclude itself from man and becomes bitter and the exact horrible thing man has thought all along it was.

http://www.enotes.com/frankenstein




8 comments:

  1. Great job interpreting this passage. I also took it to seriously. I think you did a wonderful job interpreting it. It does also seem to be a pivotal moment in the story thus far. Victor hasn't hasd to deal with his demon until now. As far as he knew it was a thing of his past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey,
    I thought you chose an excellent passage and you did a good job analyzing it rather than summarizing it. It was like his passed kept coming back to haunt him when he sees his creation. What do you think about reading the book so far?

    Thanks,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lindsey. I enjoyed reading your post. I think you did an awesome job interpreting it and feel that you made a great connection between all three characters. This quote really explains how Victor feels. He created something that now he must run from. But the creature is always there haunting him. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsey,
    I also enjoyed your interpretation of the passage you chose. I myself thought this was a very important part of the story thus far! I think you did a great job analyzing it as well. In reading your response you made me see it in a different light and also made me think of this text in a different way!
    Best of Luck!
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you did a great job also. Your first few sentences seemed a little choppy and blunt, but that could have been just me. You also did great in describing in your own words and making that paragraph easier to read and understand. As others stated above, I was also reading too much into the paragraph before reading on with your account. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the passage that you chose. I had to reread it numerous times to really try to understand it. I think that you did a good job. I think that you described stuff very well.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lindsey, Great post! I think you chose an excellent passage and conveyed your interpretation clearly. It gave your readers a very precise explanation of what was happening and how you came about your interpretation of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey great post! I really enjoyed how you took a poetic part from the book and explained it in a meanigful way. I could really grasp why that part was in the book after i read what you wrote. I recall reading that section and thinking to myself that I had read it before. I had believed it to be wise yet never really understood why it was in the book Frankenstein. After reading your post I now understand clearly the reason why. Thank you for making such a great post!

    ReplyDelete