Thursday, November 17, 2011

Technology!

What an interesting semester this has been. In this semester in this English class I was able to take the opportunity to take it as a online class. I have only taken two other online classes but they were by far not as fun as this one. The first online class I took was a humanities class and the second was a math class. the math class was very basic with straight forward work, assignments, quiz's, and test. The humanities class has some fun aspects to it, I first used Blogger in that class but it was pretty basic as well.

Online learning I think can be a positive or a negative. I personally like and dislike it at the same time. In my math class I need a actual person there to help me and show me what is going on when I am confused. Having a person in front of you when teaching can be very helpful is a particular subject is more challenging and you as an individual need more assistance. A writing class and the humanities class I think is a great class to have online. These two classes are more straight forward and you need less personal assistance in.

The one part of the class that i think was the most useful to me was Blogger. I was able to communicate with my classmates and get their feed back on my work. In the beginning of the class I was able to introduce myself to them in a fun and creative way. I was able to take the feedback they gave to me and use it to better my papers or understand a piece of writing I may have been having problems with.

I will definitely be using the online databases in the future. This was the first time I have used them and it was very interesting to see what was available. I also got a library card for the first time in my life haha!

I really enjoyed taking this class and the fun options that were all through the course it made it so much more fun to participate in. I hope that if given the opportunity to take another online course it will be like this one. I have to give credit to our professor for taking the time to want to make learning fun and enjoyable. She could have used text book only and submitted all work through Black Board. She took it a step farther and I appreciate that.


http://websearch.about.com/b/2005/07/07/kids-need-more-technology-classes.htm

10 comments:

  1. I agree that it depends on what type of class you are taking as to whether it is good online. I love math and it comes very easily to me but I still couldn't imagine taking it entirely online without having that in class demonstration. English on the other hand, for me, is one of the easier classes to take online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting course it has been! I agree that this has been a learning experience with the blog. Before this class I never would have thought I could have created a blog but now that the semester is complete I could not imagine this course without it. A math class is not so hard online but it sure is not for everyone!
    Good Luck-
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you 100% on that it matters what type of class it is that you're taking online. I too had an issue taking my math class online. I found that it was much harder for me than it had been when I was in class with a teacher. I loved the blogger.com. It was the first time I ever used it and I will be continuing to use it outside of school. Good luck with your final portfolio and the rest of your schooling!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Online classes are very helpful to some and to others very destructive. I took English 101, and 102 online, as well as a math and a medical ethics class. The math was so straightforward I never opened the book, it was a waste of $100, the English's were very fun, especially this one with the blog that helped us get critiques from other students in a less formal way. I would recommend taking online classes but then again I love them, and not everyone does. Great Post, and I hope you had a great fall semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I have taken online classes for awhile and I agree with you, they can be lot of fun! Blogging was intimidating at first but I see we both got it! I always enjoyed your posts and I believe that we had the best professor ever! Good luck in your future plans I am sure you will do awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading other classmate's posts, I think we can all agree that the blogging aspect was intimidating. Most of us new very little about it if anything and didn't really understand how it would help us. Now that the class is almost over, I think we can all agree that blogging was great. The fact that it allowed us to interact with fellow classmates and help each other with papers was definitely a plus. In online classes the biggest challenge is to feel confident with your work because there is no one there to check it until after it is turned in. This teacher found a way for us to regain that confidence. It is something that all online teachers could benefit by using and should consider it. I too will give credit to Mrs. Cline for presenting us with the opportunity to learn such a valuable tool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoyed the fact that Ms. Cline made the class unlike any other class by adding different aspects that weren't common with other classes. The blogging part was most effective for me also and I will continue to take more online classes in the hopes that they will be like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree with you more! This was a very interesting and fun course, and I learned so much about English and technology at the same time. I have also taken other on-line courses that were not nearly as fun as this one, and I have to say that I would recommend this course to anyone. It was a little intimidating in the beginning, however I really enjoyed the challenge. Good luck to you!
    Respectfully,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you really enjoyed your time. I agree that it really depends on what kind of class that you are taking. I would also find it very difficult to do a math class online too. Great job this semester and good luck in your college career.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it funny, because I actually learned more from my online math class then being there in person. Maybe cause my in class teacher left a lot of gaps on how to do the assignments, but there is always positives and genitives to every time. I hope you have fun with the rest of your classes and do well on your final portfolio.

    ReplyDelete