Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mid-Term Check In

Laura Cline
English 102
October 18, 2011

 Dear, Mrs. Cline

 During thus far in this class I have enjoyed and struggled with several different things. This class has taught me that you have to look so much deeper into certain readings just so that you can find the true meaning of them. And sometimes you are still not fully comprehending what the author is trying to portray to you. I believe that my biggest challenge in this class has been trying to understand the poems that we had read. Poems have always been difficult for me to understand the meaning and the use of words. I think that the other part that has been challenging for me is trying to portray my thoughts and meaning on to paper for others to fully conceive. Although, liking to write, I would have to say that possessing this I have had an advantage in the class. It is not hard for me to sit down and write and think of how I could try to become creative and hopefully have people understand what I am saying. I honestly don't believe the readings in this class have effected me in any way. I look at the readings as something that is being asked of me so really they aren't presenting a strong opinion to me. The literary analysis has been a complete different writing approach then what I am used to doing. When I have taken classes in writing in the past I have always far surpassed the expectations of my teachers, I had always gotten straight A's and had a "wonderful writing style" this writing is very different for me. I much rather prefer writing an argumentative or research paper. Hopefully during the last half of my semester I will be able to understand and excel in the types of writing we are doing in this class.

I hope to be taking the advice from you as well as I possibly can. I like to write and would like to be able to take the skills in this class to better myself as a writer. I enjoy the challenges that are being thrown at me it gives me a reason to become more motivated and to push harder to strive for not only a better grade but to expand my abilities.

 Sincerely, Lindsey Meredith

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsey,

    I'm with you, I prefer the research paper or choosing an argument and proving your case. The style of writing we are doing now is a different approach and has presented a learning curve. I hope we both get a better grip on it the rest of the semester.
    I enjoy reading what you write and make sure I check in on your blog each week. I think you have a great attitude about the rest of the semester and I wish you the best!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% on the fact that the poems were difficult to understand and portray what the authors true meaning was. Although I found it challenging at first the end result of understanding and writing essay #2 was a great feeling. Unlike you liking research and argumentative papers, I dont like writing very much at all ha ha. Anyway great paper. Good luck on the second half of the semester.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet it helps enjoying to write. I have the ideas but getting it on paper is difficult in my case. I dislike poems as well I really don't understand why they have to make it so hard to understand, isn't that what they want? It shouldn't need to be much work to interpret their saying. I am also learning this new writing technique and hope to improve. Good luck in round two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In reading that you have always gotten straight A's with research papers, yet you are struggling with literary analysis was a bit surprising for me. Only because to me, I've always thought of them in the same way. You have to read, and usually re-read in order to understand something, you quote it, and talk about it. I know it's not really that simple, but you might have better luck with them if you go into it with the same energy as a research paper! Good luck with the remainder of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you 100% that poems are very difficult, and that I too love research papers. I had an issue with Essay #2 as well, I got a good grade but it wasn't the grade that I wanted. I am glad to know that I'm not the only one that loves research and argumentative papers yet had a hard time with the literary analysis. I can't wait to read what else you have coming for us this semester though!! I know that you'll do great!!

    ReplyDelete